Historic Churchyards

  • Sky

Little Dalton Church (Dalton Parva)

Parish

Dalton

National Grid Reference

NY 0890 7468

Graveyard Notes

In the small graveyard (now disused) attached to the south side of the church are a number of headstones, mainly early 18th century, although one bears the date 1665. Enclosing the church and graveyard are the remains of an earth-and-stone bank, probably indicating the perimeter of the original churchyard. By the entrance to the churchyard is an interpretation panel, installed after the cleaning and consolidation of the ruined church in 2004.

Ecclesiastical History

Dalton Parva (Glasgow, Annandale). Described as parsonage in Bagimond, the church remained unappropriated within the patronage of Carruthers of Holmains in the 16th century.Meikle and Little Dalton were first united by Parliament in 1609 but Little Dalton was joined to Mouswald by letter of James VI to the Privy Council, 27 May 1615. It was again united to Meikle Dalton on 28 June 1633.

Church Notes

In its present form, the church is built on the T-plan; it is probably originally of 17th-century date but has evidently been altered and partially rebuilt several times since, and includes fragments of an earlier, possibly 13th century building.

Hyperlinks

RCAHMS Details

Back to Map

Border for Gallery Border for Gallery

Use the arrows above to scroll through a gallery of images.